Anesthesia

Spinal headaches

10/18/2006

Question:

I had a spinal anesthesia done on Sept 28, 2006 for surgery to have a McDonald stitch done.  I am 14 weeks pregnant and it`s been 2 weeks since the surgery, but I am still getting these headaches. My OB doctor prescribed my some headache medicine but my headaches last until I go to sleep, somtimes 48 hours.  How long will I be getting theses headaches?

Answer:

There are many possible cause of headache. You need to find out whether your headache is related to the spinal anesthetic or not. A "spinal headache" is usually postural - that is, it worsens considerably when you stand up, and is minimal or absent when you lie down. If your headache is postural you should try to be evaluated by your anesthesiologist. If a spinal headache is diagnosed, there are specific treatments that can help, such as an epidural blood patch. If a spinal headache is untreated it will eventually go away but this may take several days or weeks.

Go to the Anesthesia health topic, where you can:

Gareth S Kantor, MD Gareth S Kantor, MD
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology