Ringworm

10/25/2006

Question:

I HAVE A RINGWORM SINCE THEN IT WOULDN`T CURED. I TRIED SO MANY OINTMENTS BUT NOTHINGS HAPPEN. PLEASE HELP ME I NEED YOUR ADVISE...THANKS!

Answer:

The first thing to do is to get an accurate diagnosis. Many rashes of the skin are misdiagnosed as "ringworm" by many physicians, medical personnel, and lay people. As you may know, "ringworm" is a rash anywhere on the skin that is due to a fungal infection of the skin (similar to the type of fungus that causes athlete's foot, jock itch, and toenail fungus).

If it truly is ringworm, a topical antifungal (over the counter or by your physician is usually enough to clear it up). If it is a resistant organism, or one that has infected the hair follicles, then an antifungal medicine by mouth (such as griseofulvin, Lamasil, Sporonox) may be needed.

Please see your board certified dermatologist. They may do a skin scraping (of the scale from the rash) to confirm that it is or is not a fungus infection. If that isn't helpful, and they are not sure what it is, they may do a skin biopsy.

Pranav   Sheth, MD Pranav Sheth, MD