Pulmonary Hypertension

Pulmonary hypertension and KSHV

10/31/2006

Question:

Dear Doctor I thank you for answering my email. My question is I have read some articles online that have suggested hhv-8 (kshv) and Primary Pulmonary Hypertension are related. But some others studies say that they have found no such evidence. I am concerned because my family is from the southern tip of Italy a hotspot for HHV-8. I understand hhv-8 infects men more than women and is asyptomatic but is a similar to the EBV virus and is usually only a problem with severe immune damage. But women contract ph more than men. So I am confuse and worried here. Is it established to some in the medical field that these two are linked and what is your opinion on this? Thanks Doug

Answer:

Doug,

There was a study that suggested this link but that has not been proven by other investigators. We still do not understand what causes pulmonary hypertension.

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Namita   Sood, MD, FCCP Namita Sood, MD, FCCP
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep