Exercise and Fitness

Weight loss

12/04/2006

Question:

Ineed Help Im really tring to loose at least 20 pounds i know I could loose more but I dont want to get discoureged.I have been walking on the treadmill almost every day for atleast 20 mins.My clothes seem to fit me tighter the scale is the same PLEASE HELP !!!

Answer:

It is discouraging to be working so hard on your exercise program and still not meeting your weight loss goals.  It is possible that you have gained some muscle mass due to your cardiovascular activity. This is a very good result because the ultimate body composition goal is to obtain more muscle mass than fat mass.  I would recommend increasing the duration of your cardiovascular activity to up to 60 minutes per session.

It may also be helpful to consult a registered dietitian to review your diet to determine if you are eating in a manner that will best help you reach your goals.  Weight loss will only be successful if you commit to lifelong healthy eating and a regular exercise program. Give yourself time to adjust to a new routine and make it a part of your daily life. Good luck to you.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Rachael   Dotson, BS Rachael Dotson, BS
Program Manager
Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley