Biting my tongue

10/23/2006

Question:

I have noticed that I bite my tongue and a blister results which causes some initial pain and then subsides. A dental school in the area has suggested that it may have something to do with my bite, since I do not have one of my bottom molars on the bottom due to extraction. On the top of my mouth on that side, my end upper molar is out of alignment, thus throwing things off.

What can I do? I do not want to lose the upper molar cause that will throw things off even more and I do not have the funds for an implant in the lower mouth. Is this any indication of an illness such as behchet`s disease, and how would I know if it is? Is is advisable to pursue this question and with whom????

Thank you very much.

Answer:

The fact that you bite your tongue and a lesion appears is not indicative of Behchet's disease.  The lesions for that disease usually develop in multiple spots without an irritational cause.  There are also other very common symptoms related to the disease that you did not mention.

If you are concerned about this disease, you could visit your physician or an oral pathologist at your local dental school and have them check you for the other symptoms of the disease.  It is not uncommon to develop sores or blisters after biting your tongue or other soft oral tissue.  The only way to prevent their recurrence is to eliminate the cause of the irritation.

You mentioned misalignment of your molar.  A possible solution to that would be getting braces to properly align your teeth.  Your local dentist would be the place to start to find a solution to biting your tongue.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry