Bend knee pain

10/23/2006

Question:

hi yes i have pain behind my knee when i bend my knee at anytime i first start have pain when i would bend my knees to pick something off the floor then it start hurting with a shooting pain down my leg from my knee nw mostly it just my knee the knee that has been causing me this trouble is my right knee it is true i do lot of walking some days but it feels like the pain in my right knee just start out of the blue and i have rest it but no matter how much rest i get it still hurts when i bend it what are your thoughts on this and thank you for your advise

Answer:

This is a frequently asked question on this site and searching the database for knee pain will give you more insight into the answer for your question.  There are several possible causes for the type of pain you describe but the most common and most likely is a condition called chondromalacia patella, which is an inflammation of the cartilage behind the kneecap that causes the symptoms you are describing.  This is treated with physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medications and limiting activities that irritate the back of the patella.  Other causes of this type of knee pain include injuries or tears to the cartilages (meniscus) within the knee joint or inflammation of bursae (lubricating sacs) around the knee.  There is no replacement for the physical exam to determine the exact cause of your pain and I would recommend you see your physician who can properly diagnose you after having taken a thorough history and performed an exam.  I hope this helps.

Charles Webster, MD