Calcified and enlarged lymph nodes

10/27/2006

Question:

I recently received the results of a CT scan. It showed several calcified lymph nodes and three mildly enlarged nodes near my aortic pulmonary window. The radilogist suggested a follow up scan in two months with no contrast dye. I am worried this may be lymphona. Should I wait for the follow up or schedule with a pulmonary specialist. I do not remember having any infections and I feel well.

Answer:

Calcifications within the lymph nodes of the chest can occur with several different infections such as histoplasmosis in the Ohio River region and coccidiomycoses in areas of California. Tuberculosis and silica dust exposure can also cause calcified lymph nodes.

If you have any concerns about other processes, you should discuss them with your primary care physician and then mutually decide if further evaluation is warranted.

Ralph   Panos, MD Ralph Panos, MD