To stop Actonel

I`m 50 years old and 6 months ago was diagnose with Osteopenia, my doctor prescribed Actonel and I`ve been taking it for 6 months now. I had a total hysterectomy (uterus and ovarian removed) two years ago. Currently I`m on Natural Hormones treatment "Triestrogen" (personal choice). I`m concern about osteonecrosis; although I don`t have any serious oral problems. Can I stop taking Actonel if my next density bone test comes normal? How long do the effects of Actonel stay in your body?

If you have not had any fractures and you have mild osteopenia (a t-score better than -2.0), you may not need to be taking Actonel.  The estrogen you are taking will give you some protection.  Continue calcium, vitamin D and exercise.

We do not know how long the benefits of Actonel will last once the medication is stopped.  It is likely that within a couple of years bone loss will resume.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology