Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Chronic yeast



I am 42 yrs old and on every pap smear, it shows yeast. I have had a TAH but still have both ovaries. I do not have any discharge -just burning and itching that is sometimes unbearable after intercourse and I have to sit in a hot tub of water to get relief. I have tried the usual yeast meds but without much relief. Sometimes it is worse than others.

This has been going on for quite a while but when I ask my dr about it, I am just given the yeast meds/creams. I am not diabetic as my BS has always been normal. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for your time.


Some yeast are caused by atypical types that are not as sensitive to typical medications. You should have a culture performed that will test for sensitivity to certain types of antifungals to see if you need a different type.

Some women need prolonged treatment to eliminate or reduce the recurrence. Taking a dose of fluconazole 150 mg every 3 days for three doses, followed by a dose every week, can reduce the number of recurrent infections by reducing the yeast amounts in the vagina.

For more information:

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education
No longer associated