Gynecology

Chronic yeast

10/25/2006

Question:

I am 42 yrs old and on every pap smear, it shows yeast. I have had a TAH but still have both ovaries. I do not have any discharge -just burning and itching that is sometimes unbearable after intercourse and I have to sit in a hot tub of water to get relief. I have tried the usual yeast meds but without much relief. Sometimes it is worse than others.

This has been going on for quite a while but when I ask my dr about it, I am just given the yeast meds/creams. I am not diabetic as my BS has always been normal. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

Answer:

Some yeast are caused by atypical types that are not as sensitive to typical medications. You should have a culture performed that will test for sensitivity to certain types of antifungals to see if you need a different type.

Some women need prolonged treatment to eliminate or reduce the recurrence. Taking a dose of fluconazole 150 mg every 3 days for three doses, followed by a dose every week, can reduce the number of recurrent infections by reducing the yeast amounts in the vagina.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education