Menopause

Are these symptoms of menopause okay?

10/26/2006

Question:

I am 47 years old. My doctor tested me last year and said I was borderline perimenopause. As of today I have not had a period for six months. I have hot flashes, night sweats and my breasts feel full, not sore, just large. I also am experiencing water retentention which may be why my breasts are large. All these symptoms (except for the hot flashes) feel like the symptoms I experience right before my past periods, but now these symptoms are lasting longer because I haven`t had a period for six months. Are these symptoms normal, and also can I be ovulating after six months of no period because for one day now my left ovary has a pinching pain? If I am ovulating and have a period, is it okay that I have one after six months? Thanks.

Answer:

Your recent symptoms do sound premenstrual.  It is not uncommon to have a period after skipping several months.  That is why the definition of menopause is one year of no menstrual periods.  Chart your cycles so that you can review them with your physician.  If your periods become heavier, you should report that to your physician.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology