Thyroid Diseases

Alternative Medicine Prevention of Hypothyroidism

10/26/2006

Question:

From blood work results, my thyroid/parathyroid seems to be getting more sluggish and I`m moving out of "normal" range. I do not want this to worsen and want to address this BEFORE symptoms start. I have heard that it would be helpful to apply OTC iodine on one upper thigh in the a.m. and again in the p.m.

Do you think this will help?  I have increased my consumption of kale, cabbage, yoga inverted postures and manual thyroid stimulation. I suppose I`ll return to see if this will have helped.

Answer:

I really don't think any of the measures you have described will have any significant beneficial effect on your thyroid. In fact, eating large amounts of cabbage might actually slow down your thyroid further. The best thing you could do is to let your doctor monitor your thyroid function appropriately and start treatment when the time is right.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE