Anxiety and Myasthenia Gravis

10/30/2006

Question:

Is there a drug to treat mild anxiety for someone with myasthenia gravis? My GP has prescribed Xanax for me, but I just read on-line that it`s not recommended in patients with myasthenia gravis as is all the other benzodiazepines. Thanks for your response.

Answer:

The first line drugs to treat anxiety disorders are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) - these include fluoxetine (prozac) and sertraline (zoloft) among others.

I am not aware of any contraindications to someone with MG using these medications, but I advise you to talk to your mental health provider, neurologist and pharmacist before beginning any new medication.  In addition to your disease, if you are taking medications, there is always potential for drug interactions when new drugs are prescribed, and this needs to be evaluated on an individual basis.