Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Blood clot in wrist vein?

10/30/2006

Question:

My 72 year old mother just noticed a very sore, warm area on the top, inside part of her wrist. She has some arthritis in her fingers (not rheumatoid) and I would have thought this was likely a new arthritis symptom in her wrist, except for the fact she has a large vein in that exact spot also. She does not recall bumping her wrist there, although she said it`s possible. Could she have developed a superficial thrombosis or could this be a DVT that needs urgent attention? The only medication she is on is for high blood pressure. Thank you for your assistance.

Answer:

Although it is possible that this could be a superficial thrombophlebitis, it is more likely to be something else such as an infection or other inflammation possibly related to the arthritic condition.  It is impossible to really tell the difference other than seeing the patient and examining her.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine