Sarcoidosis

GI and cardiac

11/01/2006

Question:

I have noticed that sometimes when I have (or am getting ready to have) a BM that my heart skips. Afterwards I`m ok. I do have systemic sarcoidosis and am wondering if sarcoid can affect the bowel and if so what are the symptoms. Thank you.

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam-

Sarcoidosis can involve the intestines, but I would be more concerned that your heart could be involved.  During a BM there are changes in the filling pressures of the heart that can alter the amount of pressure in the heart chamber and the amount of blood pumped out of the heart to the body.  We usually do not notice these changes, but it is possible that these changes in pressure in the heart are contributing to the abnormal heart beats.  In some cases, this can be associated with dizziness or even passing out, which would indicate that you should seek further evaluation of the condition.

Sincerely,

Elliott Crouser MD

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine