Incontinence

Cystocele

11/06/2006

Question:

I had a vaginal hysterectomy with cystocele and rectocele repair 2 months ago. I was feeling great until this week. I have a vaginal odor similar to post surgery but no obvious discharge, I also feel more pelvic pressure. I used a mirror to look at my vagina and saw what appeared to be a prolapse of some sort. It does not protrude out of my vaginal but if I spread my vagina open I can see a sac. Would I be able to see my bladder? Could it be my bladder already dropped again? I have been very good about not lifting or straining.

Answer:

It is unfortunate that you are not feeling as good following your surgery. The odor you are describing is either urine or yeast infection. For which you should contact your Gynecologist.

As for the bulge in the vaginal area, it could be the recurrence of the cystocele, rectocele or the development of another condition called Enterocele. The Enterocele, unlike Cystocele contains small bowel. It does not cause urinary or fecal problems unless in its extreme form. Unfortunately, it requires surgery again but after the sufficient time has elapsed to overcome your prior pelvic surgery.

Go to the Incontinence health topic, where you can:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery