Bump on roof of mouth

11/17/2006

Question:

Earlier this week a small bump formed on the roof of my mouth. It is on the front center; right behind my two front teeth. It is smooth and oval shaped. I`ve been fighting a cold for about two weeks and I`m on prescription cough medicine with Codine. When I`m not taking Ibprofen (400mg) I feel a lot of pressure and throbbing on the roof of my mouth and in the bump. None of my teeth hurt. It`s almost like sinus pressure, but instead of in my sinuses it is pressing on the roof of my mouth.

Could this just be part my virus?

Answer:

From your description of the "bump", this is probably what is known as the incisive papilla. Everyone has one of these bumps, and you would need to see someone who is familiar with the mouth in order to find out if your incisive papilla is enlarged or just temporarily irritated. Your dentist might be a good place to start, but you may need to be evaluated by an oral pathologist as well.

Your dentist should check the teeth carefully to find out if the pulp ("nerve") of each tooth in the area is alive. X-rays of the area would also be necessary. It is unlikely that this is related to your viral infection, and the sinuses are not very close to this area.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology