Menopause

Water retention/ ringing ears

11/13/2006

Question:

I am going through menopause I have not had a period for a few months, spotted very lightly one day this week and have had water retention real bad and ringing ears. I went to the doctor and my blood pressure is a little high than normal and she said that my ringing in my ears and blood pressure may be related to the water retention. She perscribed diuetrics. Is water retention and ringing ears normal during menopause and how long will it take for the diuetrics to work (I`ve only taken in for four days)? Thanks.

Answer:

Fluid retention and ringing in the ears are not symptoms of menopause.  Some women do have some fluid retention prior to their menses each month, but in that situation it is not accompanied by ringing in the ears.  Generally diuretics work very quickly, within a couple of days.  Follow up your blood pressure to be sure it returns to normal.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology