Pregnancy

Passing gas through vagina

11/28/2006

Question:

I have a very odd question. I am 28 weeks pregnant. I have heard from some of my friends that after delivery air enters the vagina and there might be a funny sound coming from there as if I am passing gas through my vagina. I heard it could be very embarassing and you can hear the sound even when we are walking. Is it true? Can I do something to prevent that during or after my delivery?

Answer:

During delivery, the vaginal entrance stretches quite a bit, and it is possible that if there is sufficient laxity, some air may enter and then be expelled under certain conditions such as intercourse. I cannot imagine this occurring during simple walking.

If you are concerned about developing laxity of the vaginal musculature, you can start building up the muscles of the pelvic floor by doing Kegel exercises. Here is a link to a description of the exercise:

Kegel or Pelvic Floor Exercises for Women

Go to the Pregnancy health topic, where you can:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology