High Blood Pressure

Cause of Sudden High Blood Pressure

11/27/2006

Question:

I have bronchitis and experienced high blood pressure, as high as 198/115. I stopped taking over the counter cough meds (but took amoxicyllin) and it had dropped but remains much higher than normal: 150/98. Before that it was usually 118/74 (I`m female 58 years and quite healthy, not overweight and exercise regularly.) Could the amoxicyllin cause high blood pressure, or the cold infection itself?

Answer:

Many over the counter cold medicines contain phenylephrine or ephedrine, which can cause  high blood pressure.  Antibiotics like penicillin do not elevate blood pressure.  In your case, the sudden elevation in blood pressure may be due to stress or it may a coincidence, and you have developed high blood pressure independent of your cold.

* Learn important new information concerning the FDA withdrawal of dietary supplements containing Ephedrine Alkaloids (Ephedra or Ma Huang)

If your blood pressure does not return to your original low level, you will need a medical evaluation and treatment.  Your ideal blood pressure is 120/80 or lower.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section