Gynecology

Sores on perineum

11/14/2006

Question:

I have been getting sores -pimple like- on my perineum and labia intermittently over the last several months. I have one now on my perineum that is sore and raised and has been bleeding at times.I am not diabetic.

These areas are painful and sometimes blood and pus can be expressed from them. I am married and no hx of STD. Just wondering what this could be . I realize you cannot dx over the web . Thanks for your help.

Answer:

You can have genital herpes which has a clear fluid blister on the labia. They are very tender once they rupture. You could have been exposed to them many years ago and just now have symptoms. Molluscum Contagiosum is a self-limited viral infection that produces papules. They will resolve on their own, but often are treated with opening and rupturing the cysts to promote faster healing. You should have the lesions evaluated and tested to determine the cause and treatment if necessary. 

Molluscum Contagiosum

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education