Braces

Facial changes with braces

11/17/2006

Question:

I have had the same problem... I`ve only had braces on for 2 months and my face has changed dramatically, so much that my Husband wants to have my braces removed in the chance that my face will go back. It`s thinner and looks longer. I`m not sure if that would help being that my teeth have moved so much already, would my face actually go back to the way it was?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Answer:

It seems highly unlikely that you could have detectable facial changes that quickly. The only thing I can think of is that because braces sometimes slow you down eating that you may have lost some weight. Check your weight. Certainly when the braces are off the natural contours of your face will return, but I strongly advise not having them removed early. Correction of your bite does not occur in such a short period of time, and your teeth will likely revert to the former malocclusion.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry