Obesity and Weight Management

I can`t lose weight.

01/11/2007

Question:

I am a 25 year old female and about 70 pounds overweight. I have been trying for an entire year to lose weight but have had no success. I eat about 1200-1500 calories per day. I do not eat trans fats, I eat very little sugar, refined carbs, or fried foods. I make sure to get my (low-fat) dairy, high-fiber whole grains, lean proteins and fruits and veggies. I do both cardio and weight training regularly and I get plenty of sleep. I don`t smoke, I don`t drink alcohol - I do everything I`ve been told to do to live a healthy lifestyle. My doctor tested me for both thyroid problems and insulin resistance and both were negative. I`m doing this to be healthy and not just to be thin, but I feel so hopeless. I know weight loss doesn`t happen overnight, but I expected at least a little by now. Could there be something else preventing my weight loss?

Answer:

This question has been answered previously. The link below will connect you to that answer. You can also return to the Ask an Expert page and use the "Search" option to find information from related questions. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

NetWellness

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Angela Blackstone, RD, LD
Staff Dietitian
Center for Wellness and Prevention
Clinical Instructor
School of Allied Medical Professionals