Athletic Training

Tore a ligament?

11/15/2006

Question:

Thanks for your information on ankle sprains. I did not know there a different types of sprains. I just know about severity level. I sprained my right ankle 10/23/06 (Level 2 severity) and was out of work for 2 weeks. They made me go back to work and I do wear a brace. However, I take ballet and I still can`t put my weight on the balls of my feet and still have swelling. I can walk just fine. Do you think I tore a ligament? Could you let me know what you think?

Answer:

Chances are you have injured a ligament in your ankle.  You should still manage the swelling with ice 2-3 times a day. 

I would include calf stretching in your daily routine. Simply lean against (facing) the wall, with one leg bent and the other straight.  You should feel the stretch in the back of your calf.

Your mobility will increase as you continue to stretch and the swelling decreases.  Once the swelling has gone down, you can begin strengthening.  Calf raises are the best way. 

It would be best to follow up with a local sports medicine professional if you continue to have limitations so they can better evaluate your problem and give you an individual program. 

Good Luck. 

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Chalisa   Fonza, MA, ATC Chalisa Fonza, MA, ATC
Athletic Trainer
Clinical Instructor at the School of Allied Medical Professionals