Submandibular pain?

11/17/2006

Question:

Woke up at 0100 with mild pain (a little sharp)under my tongue (right side). Can`t feel any lumps but do have systemic sarcoidosis. Did have some extractions over the past couple of months but no problem is this area. When I yawn or cough it is more noticeable.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you for your time.

Answer:

Although sarcoidosis can flare up in unusual places, including glands or lymph nodes in the face and neck, this sounds more like a pain arising from the jaw. Perhaps it is related to inflammation of the joint (temporomandibular) on that side of the jaw, which is supported by the fact that it is brought on by changing the position of the jaw (yawning, etc.). This being said, it is possible that the pain is related to local activity of sarcoidosis (it can flare up just about anywhere).

I would suggest that you see your primary care physician to evaluate for more common causes of this type of pain before assuming that it is caused by sarcoidosis.

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine