Black worms in baby feces-- my baby too

11/22/2006

Question:

My 11-month baby has what seems like little black worms in her feces.

For 2 weeks now, she has had diarrhea about every 2 hours, then when I switched back to her old formula and started giving her more starchy foods like bananas and crackers, she started pooping more soft than liquid, but I noticed that her stool had lots of little black worm-like (but not moving of corse) stuff....what could it be?

Answer:

I really do not know what it could be. Given that she also had diarrhea, it would be the prudent thing to take her to see her doctor. I also strongly recommend taking a diaper with a fresh, good-sized sample of the stool about which you are concerned with you in a ziplock baggy. This would allow her doctor to do some preliminary testing to see if there is blood or excessive amounts of food sugars in her stool as well as sending cultures for bacteria and parasites.

Mobile 11-month-olds put many things in their mouths and their hands are everywhere. It is difficult to protect them from ingesting bacteria, parasites, and foreign objects. The only way to know what is causing the problem is to have a professional examine your child and test her stool.

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN