Smoking and Tobacco

Smoking

01/15/1999

Question:

How many cigarettes a person smoke a day will he be considered a heavy smoker? is cigarette considered an agent in damaging the liver? its so easy to say that avoid situations that will make you smoke, but it's so hard to do!! espeicially when people around me smoke and I couldn't tell them not to smoke around me and in result I will smoke too even though I have quit smoking successfully for a period of time, please help

Answer:

A heavy smoker is frequently someone who smokes more than 15 to 20 cigarettes per day. And a lighter smoker is sometimes described as smoking 1 to 15 cigarettes per day. The important message though - is that no smoking is the goal. The point on liver damage is typically associated with alcohol abuse - not smoking. Being around other smokers is a challenge for an ex-smoker. This becomes less of a problem over time - but in the early period of being a nonsmoker it is important to be kind to yourself and reduce the number of problem situations you need to deal with. If being around smokers is unavoidable, have a plan about what you will do instead of smoking. Not drinking alcohol in these settings is very important, since it is frequently associated with smoking. You may want to discuss this with your health care provider and ask about the nicotine inhaler. This would provide nicotine during a tempting situation, but would not deliver the many other harmful products in the cigarette smoke. Don't give up - staying smoke-free is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Karen L Ahijevych, PhD, RN, FAAN Karen L Ahijevych, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor Emeritus
College of Public Health