Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Urinary problem

12/04/2006

Question:

My daughter is 6 yrs old and in the last two weeks she has had 5 daytime accidents. She has been completely potty trained since before her 3rd birthday. The problem is, she doesn`t get the urge to go until just before it is too late, and if she is too far from the bathroom she will not make it. I haven`t taken her to the doctor because we thought it was more behavioral then physical, now I am beginning to think it is physical. Is there a physical reason that could keep her from feeling the urge to go until it`s too late?

Answer:

These are common complaints. There are in general 2 reasons for young children to not have the urge. One is that they may simply be busy children who have more important things to do with their lives than to stop to go to the bathroom. This is not so much a behavioral problem but is normal for some kids. The other possibility is that a child may have an overactive bladder where the bladder just empties on its own without any involvement with the brain. This is very common and can be caused by mild constipation. Some times a short course of medications called "anticholinergics" can help.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Rama   Jayanthi, MD Rama Jayanthi, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology