Gum Diseases

Sensitive gums after extraction and implants

12/01/2006

Question:

Hello, I have been plagued with an inflamed/sore sensation on my gums around tooth #22 and #23. I had a sporting accident where the teeth were fractured above the gum line and a fracture of the bone where the teeth were. I had 2 immediate implants, one of which failed. The gum was "tight" and inflamed soon after the accident. I have used chlorihexidine rinses prior to the implant failing. I constantly use sea salt rinses and Listerine (3 times/day) and floss the area. The gums are still sore in this area. Do you have any ideas what is going on? Is this Gingivitis/Perio disease that is localized due to the trauma? What can I expect as a resolution? This has been going on for 5 months (rinsing for 4.5 months) now and I am feeling hopeless...

Thanks I.

Answer:

Do you have any ideas what is going on? Is this Gingivitis/Perio disease that is localized due to the trauma?

A: Most of the time, when there is inflammation present, it gets associated with the presence of bacteria alone or in conjunction with additional irritants that could harbor bacteria as well. I would not think that this is related to the previous trauma by itself. Maybe there are a combination of factors that might be causing this inflammation. Gingivitis/periodontitis are inflammatory reactions of the gums and support tissues of the tooth to the presence of bacterial deposits. If this area has been restored with implants, these same inflammatory reactions can occur around them, called peri-implantitis. However, there are other conditions that could affect the gums, but their occurrence in the population are less frequent.

What can I expect as a resolution?

A: From what you describe, possibly, this will not get a resolution by itself. My recommendation is for you to seek an evaluation with a periodontist. More than likely, x-rays will be taken, or any other additional tests necessary to understand the origin of the inflammation. Once the cause of the problem is determined, there will be definitely viable solutions that can be provided for eliminating the inflammation.

I hope the information presented is of any use to your current situation.

Let us know if we could be of any further help.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Periodontics
School of Dental Medicine