Eye twitching

12/01/2006

Question:

Just recently, my eye twitches off and on some days and other days constantly twitches. This does not hurt or impair my eyesight, but it is very bothersome. Is there a reason or solution to this?

Answer:

The main reason I find for lid twitch is lack of sleep and increased stress. I usually recommend that these factors be altered to decrease the chance of the problem continuing. Some things that have been tried to help resolve it is to eat more foods high in potassium. Many fruits and veggies have more potassium, especially bananas, kiwi fruit, and raisins. Antihistamines (eyedrop and oral) have been used, but there is no research to prove effectiveness of these. See more information below may also help you understand this condition.

Eyelid myokymia: Fine continuous contractions of the eyelid muscle, typically involving one of the lower eyelids, less often an upper eyelid. The condition occurs spontaneously, sometimes triggered by stress, fatigue, caffeine or alcohol. In most cases, the condition is benign and ceases of its own accord.

http://www.eyedoctorguide.com/eye_problems/eye-twitching.html

Cynthia Gale Heard, OD Cynthia Gale Heard, OD
Formerly
Assistant Professor, Clinical Optometry