Eyes make clicking/popping sound

12/04/2006

Question:

For a while now (years) my eyes will feel as if there is a build up of pressure which I can relive when I look up and around while blinking. It makes a clicking/popping sound of a liquid being moved around. I can also make this sound by pressing on the medial aspect of both eyes with my fingers. Its similar to the feeling of "needing" to crack your knuckels. Its very annoying and I can`t stop doing it. What is wrong with me?

Answer:

There's nothing wrong with your eyes. Sometimes small air pockets will fill the lid that sounds odd when you rub your eye. If the eye tissue rubs against each other, this may cause an odd sound as well. As long as your vision isn't affected, the eye isn't red, and doesn't hurt, you're fine. You're probably doing it out of curiosity. Just call it one of your idiosyncrasies.

Cynthia Gale Heard, OD Cynthia Gale Heard, OD
Formerly
Assistant Professor, Clinical Optometry