Gynecology

Urine leakage during period

12/11/2006

Question:

i have 3 children (youngest is 10) and over the last 6 monthes/periods I seem to have slight urine leakage , but only during my period ? Is this somewhat normal or is there more going on ?

Answer:

Unintentional leakage of urine (incontinence) is a common problem as women age, and is often related to having had previous vaginal deliveries.  The problem may be due to a loss of control of the sphincter that keeps the urine in (stress incontinence), excessive activity of the muscle that forces urine out (urge incontinence) or a combination (mixed incontinence). 

I am not sure why your problem would only occur during your period, though there are multiple changes that occur during a woman's cycle that could trigger one problem or the other.  An examination by a health care provider can offer more insight into what is the baseline cause.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology