Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

4 year old wetting her pants

01/12/2007

Question:

My almost 4 year old has been potty trained for over a year now and has been wetting her pants consistently for 3 weeks or so, sometimes multiple times a day. I will ask her if she has to go to the bathroom, she will say no and then wet her pants a minute later. I`ve done everything I can think of to help her. I`ve disciplined her, I`ve been encouraging, I feel that I give her enough love and attention. What is left to do? Nothing is working at this point.

Answer:

Wetting in a child is rarely due to psychological stresses or behavioral problems. Common causes include mild constipation and an overactive bladder.

Often, giving the child a laxative to clean her out will improve the bladder. Sometimes children also need medications called "anticholinergics" to help control the bladder.

These problems are quite common and are nuisance problems. Rarely is there a real medical problem present.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Rama   Jayanthi, MD Rama Jayanthi, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology