Professional sinus irrigation

12/18/2006

Question:

Greetings- First, thank you for this service. About a year ago I underwent sinus surgery by Dr Allen Seiden, UC ENT. Over the past year I`ve irrigated monthly which has been helpful. However, after a sinus infection two months ago the frequency of my need to irrigate has increased to approx every 2-3 days. Is this normal? A friend suggested I ask the doctor to perform an irrigation treatment in the office under local anesthetics. Is this service offered by Dr Seiden`s office? Is this method more effective than home irrigation? Is it painful? Thank you, your information is greatly appreciated.

Answer:

This question has been forwarded by Allergies:

Sinus irrigation can be very helpful, particularly after you have had sinus surgery.  If your need for irrigation has increased and doesn't seem to be improving, it is possible you have an underlying infection that has not completely resolved.  I would suggest a follow up appointment with your surgeon.  I would also emphasize that it is important to do these irrigations with salt added to distilled water, and not tap water. 

Dr. Seiden does perform irrigation and cleaning in the office.  Topical anesthesia is utilized, and this is well tolerated by most patients without any complaint of pain.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy