High Blood Pressure

Blood pressure readings in leg

12/29/2006

Question:

What are normal readings for blood pressure in your legs? I heard that a blood pressure reading in your leg can be slightly higher then a reading taking in your arm. Also: I`m on 10mg a day of lisinopril for my blood pressure. Sometimes I get a slight "fuzzy" feeling around my eyes and head. Sometimes I feel some pressure around my temples and top of my head. Does this sound like a side effect to the blood pressure medicine?

Answer:

Measurement of blood pressure in the leg usually gives a slightly higher systolic (the upper number) and slightly lower diastolic (the lower number) result.  It is important to use the appropriate cuff size when measuring leg pressures.

Lisinopril is generally well tolerated, and 10 mg is a fairly low dose.  It is quite possible that your symptoms of headaches and pressure around the temples are due to inadequate blood pressure control.  In that case, the dose of lisinopril should be increased.  You may need 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring to determine the relationship between blood pressure and your symptoms.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section