Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Allergic to penicillin



I am allergic to penicillan and was just wondering what antibiotic i can take for an absessed tooth?


There are alternative medications; most likely your doctor would want to use something like clindamycin or erythromycin.  If you require a penicillin or penicillin derivative, then you should see an allergist for appropriate testing and treatment. 

For more information:

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Jonathan   Bernstein, MD Jonathan Bernstein, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati