Newborn and Infant Care

Prenatal health

12/28/2006

Question:

would on 2% alcohol drink can affect my baby

Answer:

I am sure that you are worried, but the bad news is that there is no known dose of alcohol that it is safe to drink during pregnancy nor is there a known minimum dose of alcohol that can adversely affect a baby. The best advice is not to drink at all, even during the pre-pregnancy period when you are trying to conceive, and clearly not during pregnancy. Drinking in early pregnancy when all of the body systems are forming is especially hazardous to the baby.

If you care enough to ask this question, I am certain you will not drink any other alcoholic beverages during your pregnancy. Most OB/GYNs offer ultrasound evaluations to their patients. This would be one way to have the developing baby checked before birth, if that would be helpful to your peace of mind. Things you can do now include taking your prenatal vitamin daily, eating a healthy diet everyday, and getting plenty of rest.

I hope all is well with you and that your baby is born healthy and strong.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN