Itchy tongue

01/02/2007

Question:

For some time now(more than a year) I`ve had an itchy tongue. I can´t relate it with anything I eat, so I don`t think it`s allergic. Besides it only itches on the tip of the tongue and on the right side. I`ve complained to my doctor, but she has no idea of what might be causing this, because she has never had another paciente complaining about itchy tongue. She has prescribed vitamins but I would like to know what causes this.

Answer:

Although it is possible that your tongue “itchiness” could be due to a relatively common condition known as burning mouth or burning tongue syndrome, I would first recommend that you get an appointment to be seen by a dental specialist, such as an oral and maxillofacial pathologist or surgeon.  Sometimes subtle changes to the appearance of the tongue can be identified by these specialists that would suggest other underlying conditions, including allergic or hypersensitivity reactions, a yeast infection or both.  If other conditions exist, there may be specific medication(s) that can be provided to help improve the itchiness.

In the case of burning tongue syndrome, there is little that is understood about this non-life threatening, but annoying condition and no uniformly effective treatment has been reported.  You can find additional information about burning mouth syndrome in the link below.

Burning Mouth Syndrome

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology