Root Canals

Gums

12/29/2006

Question:

I recently had a root canal on tooth #11, the eye tooth. I had an infection in between the root canal work and the crown, took the antibiotic and was fine. Now, I have a swollen gum that is tender to the touch, do you think it is infected again or is this just normal? Thank you.

Answer:

Most tooth infections take some time to clear up, and that is why endodontists do not usually perform the return check-up on a root canal-treated tooth for about 6 months.  A very common course is to give things time to heal unless new symptoms develop.  Since it sounds like things were fine and now this new symptom (swollen gum) has developed, I would advise an evaluation by your dentist or endodontist.  I can not diagnose the status of the tooth without performing my own exam.  An exam can detect problems occurring that need to be addressed or rule out any problems, leading to piece of mind.

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics