Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Eye and Vision Care

Foggy film that moves across eye



I have a film that moves around in my right eye. When I blink, it moves off, but drafts back. My vision is blurred until I blink then clears.


You may be describing 2 different things. The film over the eye could be dry eye or a floater (vitreous degeneration due to aging). Floaters are collagen fibers that move around inside the eye as you change your gaze/head position. (It's like a snowglobe being shaken up).

Film over the eyes may come from dry eye. If the eye is allowed to dry on the surface, the front layer of the eye (cornea) has a roughened surface. The tears fill in gaps on the surface making it smooth like ice. This smooth optical surface allows light to refract through the cornea very precisely. If the surface has dry patches, light will refract through inconsistently causing blur or double vision.

See your eye doctor if your vision constantly blurs, eye turns red or becomes painful.

For more information:

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Cynthia Gale Heard, OD Cynthia Gale Heard, OD
Assistant Professor, Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry
The Ohio State University