Addiction and Substance Abuse

Cocaine use

03/15/2007

Question:

hello under a previously asked question about someone asking long term side effects then one of the experts left: potency of the drug, length of use, genetics, situation in which the drug was taken, presence of certain personality traits, presence of any underlying psychiatric or medical conditions as factors that go into in. i was wondering if you could expand more in detail how a presence of a certain personality trait could affect someone long term. thanks so muchf or taking to to look over and address my questions. i hope to hear from you soon

Answer:

I would say that certain personality factors may affect a person in terms of susceptibility to relapse and long-term prognosis.

For instance, if an individual's personality traits include thrill-seeking, impulsivity, and decreased frustration tolerance, perhaps that person would be more at risk to relapse than a person with the opposite traits (harm avoidance, ability to delay gratification, increased frustration tolerance, etc.)

Similarly, if a person had high levels of narcissism or antisocial personality traits, this person may have less capacity to respond to drug and alcohol treatment programs, thus compromising her ability to recover from addiction.

Permanent cocaine effects?

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Christina M Delos Reyes, MD Christina M Delos Reyes, MD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry