Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

UTI tests

01/12/2007

Question:

My daughter at age 3 yrs old got her 1st bladder infection. She has been potty trained for 2 1/2 months now and otherwise a very health child. I`m wondering if the most likey causes of her bladder infection are related to her recent potty training and not wiping properly/or enough, or also related to taking baths and sitting in soapy water. The VCUG and kidney US tests seem extreme to me since this is her first UTI and UTI`s do not run in the family. Wondering what the risks are if we don`t have the test now? I would prefer to wait to see if UTI`s are going to be an issue for her and have her tested if a 2nd UTI occurs, would you see that as a risk? And would changing her wiping and bathing routines/hygine and using other things like carnberry juice regularly help prevent other UTI.

Answer:

Urinary tract infections are quite common in children. These may be worrisome because there is an increased risk that there may be an anatomic abnormality. However, the majority of children with infections are normal.

Often a prudent approach is to simply arrange for an ultrasound. It is easy, painless, and noninvasive. An US will tell if the kidneys look okay. If so, one can often work on hygiene issues and the like which may lead to bladder infections.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Rama   Jayanthi, MD Rama Jayanthi, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology