Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Sharp Crown Pain

01/24/2007

Question:

I had a crown put on a tooth back in March of 2006. It never felt right as far as pain being in it for more than just a few weeks like they told me it could, I went back to the Dentist with complaints of painful sharp shooting pain and dull tooth ache type of pain in it. He looked at the crown and said it looked okay but that the tooth could be cracked under possibly. Now I have excruciating shooting pain at least 4-5 times a day or anytime I eat anything and will last for about an hour or so, so bad that it brings tears to my eyes. I have wondered if possibly a nerve or muscle in that area is exposed and when I eat or chew gum (even on the other side)it irritates it and brings on the pain. Right now it feels like a really bad tooth ache but the shooting pain is gone for now and comes back as quick as it goes.

Answer:

The pain may be coming from a number of things:

In general, the nerve can be irritated by chewing (even on the other side) and so can a cracked tooth. It looks like you need further test to see what the problem actually is.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP
Associate Professor of Restorative and Prosthetic Dentistry