Sharp pain in eye

01/10/2007

Question:

I have been experiencing a sharp, stabbing pain in my right eye that occurs intermittently. It is in the inner corner of the eye and lasts less than a minute. It occurs approximately once week...always the same place/intensity. It feels like something got into my eye...which I know is not the case ( I wear glasses and it is always in the same place...too coincidental for a particle). And then it slowly goes away. Always same eye, always same corner. So, what do you think?

Answer:

It is probably dry eye. You should try lubricating your eye with artificial tears, NOT Visine. It's okay to use a regular drop like this up to 4 times/day. Also avoid situations that may cause the eyes to dry out such as sitting near an air vent or window, or being around toxic fumes like cigarette smoke. Your eye doctor can help you determine if other treatment measures would be beneficial.

Cynthia Gale Heard, OD Cynthia Gale Heard, OD
Formerly
Assistant Professor, Clinical Optometry