Sarcoidosis

Allergy testing

01/10/2007

Question:

I have had sarcoidosis for several years, but only in the last year have I had a definitive diagnosis. I have been referred by my primary physician for allergy testing. Is there a contridiction with recieving allergy shots and sarcoid? Is there any specific I need to ask the allergist about?

Answer:

The relationship between specific allergens and the development of sarcoidosis is not well understood. Many scientists and doctors postulate that some type of environmental exposure (may be different for each person) promotes sarcoidosis, but this is not proven. "Allergy shots" attempt to blunt the immune response to common environmental exposures to which you are allergic. It is unclear if this approach is helpful or harmful in the context of sarcoidosis.

In my opinion, there is some risk of worsening your condition by exposing yourself to these treatments.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine