Injury Prevention and Safety

I fell and hit the back of my head

01/11/2007

Question:

I had fell 4 days ago and hit the back of my head on the floor . I actually saw stars thats how hard i hit my head now after that happen i had a really bad head ache i even threw up because of the pain. I took every kind of pain relife and my head ache doesnt go away now i`m on the 4th day and i still have a head ache should i be worry?

Answer:

Yes, you should be concerned about the severity of the blow to your head. Your symptoms are consistent with those of a concussion.

Not only does the brain tissue directly under the injury suffer damage, but the brain tissue on the opposite side of the brain does as well. This occurs because the brain is essentially suspended in fluid inside the bony skull. The blow causes the brain to accelerate toward the opposite side of the skull, slamming it into the skull bones on the opposite side and injuring even more brain tissue.

Your ongoing severe headache also indicates a significant injury. It is important for your doctor to assess the degree of your injury as soon as possible. He or she will also be able to prescribe a more effective pain reliever for you. Be aware as well that problems with memory and brain function may last a long time after the initial injury. Ongoing care is important.

Go to the Injury Prevention and Safety health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN