Braces

How do veneers affect braces?

01/16/2007

Question:

I have veneers on my 2 front teeth.. I`ve been wanting to get some cosmetic work done to my teeth, they`re a bit crooked. I`ve been thinking about braces but was wondering, is that possible with veneers? Also, if I wanted to get brighter whiter replacement veneers after braces, would that be an option?

Answer:

Certainly braces are an option. One method is to use Invisalign, which straightens teeth by a series of mouth molds which have been made from impressions of the teeth and form a new alignment. They must be worn 21 hours out of 24. 

After the orthodontics, you could have new veneers made. Unfortunately, the method of whitening natural teeth does not work for veneers. 

In any event, I would encourage you to contact a trained orthodontist in your area.  If you need the name of one in your area, you can call the American Association of Orthodontists at 1-800-424-2841.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry