Infertility

Can cat hair cause infertility?

02/02/2007

Question:

I know this question may sound strange, but I live in the Middle East and it is a common belief here that hair from pet cats can enter the female reproductive system and cause infertility. Many doctors here even say this. I am constantly harrassed for having pet cats because I have daughters and I am supposedly jeopardizing their future chance at motherhood. No one can point to any research or proof except "cases" of relatives or friends who grew up with cats and later had fertility problems. I want to settle this issue once and for all, so people shut up! Is there any solid medical evidence that this could possibly happen? Thanks. I know it`s a strange question, but I would appreciate your professional opinion.

Answer:

I am aware of no data whatsoever to support an association between having a cat as a pet and infertility.   I hope that this is helpful. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD