Urinary Disorders

Infection in urine bladder residual

01/24/2007

Question:

I am 77 years old and have a urine bladder residual of 320cc. The only bladder trauma I have had is the removal of 3 bladder cancers by a burning instrument over the course of the past 5 years. I have two bladder diverticula that also retain urine along with the normal part of the bladder. Most of the problem of complete voiding is due to just old age and an old worn out bladder.

My urologist is concerned about infection starting in my bladder due to the residual. I have heard that urine is sterile. So why the concern of infection? I am having no symptoms and peeing twice during the night is no hardship on me.

Also, if a kidney stone is removed from the ureter by use of an instrument, does the instrument destroy the function of the one way valve in the ureter that usually keeps urine from backing up into the kidney as it passes through the one way valve?

Thank you

Answer:

You are not unique. Many men have similar situations. As long as you do not have any infection nothing needs to be done. If you get an infection then you might need a transurethral resection of your prostate. If you had a ureteroscopy the valve you describe may or may not work properly.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

R Bruce  Bracken, MD R Bruce Bracken, MD
Professor of Surgery