HPV in the mouth?

01/25/2007

Question:

I have these tiny red bumps in the middle of my tongue, a little in front of the bumps that make a "v". im worried this could be hpv as i was diagnosed with it, (not oral though). could this be a oral form of hpv? what does the oral form look like? thank you.

Answer:

While HPV-related lesions can be found in the mouth, what you are describing sounds more like normal fungiform papillae (one of the types of bumps on the top of the tongue that people call "taste buds").  These fungiform papillae can vary in size and number from person to person, and they are often prominent in front of the circumvallate papillae (the bumps that form a "V"). 

HPV-related lesions (condyloma) tend to have a rough, cauliflower-like surface, and are usually a flat patch.  The top of the tongue would be an unusual place for these in the mouth.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology