Healthy Mouth, Healthy Kids

Trauma to teeth

My son is wrestling and he hit his mouth on another kids head and now his teeth are tingling and are sensitive to hot and cold. I want to know if there is permanent damage to the tooth or will the tingling go away. Thanks

It's critical anytime there is dental trauma that a dentist evaluate the teeth. While there may be no obvious signs of damage, a dentist can perform certain tests and take X-rays to monitor the tooth's health. While transient sensitivity can be normal with trauma, it can also be a sign of irreversible nerve damage. Careful monitoring by a dentist will be aimed at preserving healthy tooth structure and intervening if it looks like the tooth is damaged.

It's a good idea anytime there is trauma to the head and neck region to have a physician/dentist examine the child to make sure the scope of injuries are limited. Thanks for the question...

Go to the Healthy Mouth, Healthy Kids health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Director, Residency Program, Division of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics